Sunday, October 4, 2015

Last Year of the Preschool Years

My baby is 4 and just like that was are writing our final chapter of "the preschool years", sob.   

 
Alice 

You would think I could let them going.  At the end of this year I will have been doing the never-at-home-stay-at-home-mom job for a decade.  But they are just so little and squishy... 


The preschool years are demanding and looking back on those two toddlers and a baby years I'm thankful we all survived.  But we were all together, my little pack of princesses.  Now pieces of my heart travel to third grade, first grade, and high school and stay all day 5 days a week.  Where have all my tea parties gone? 


What gets me is knowing that the preschool years are the time I have the most influence and it's nearly over.  They were with mom constantly but once they are launched our time together is exactly this: Get up, eat breakfast, get ready for school routine, get on the bus/drive to school, Get home, eat a snack, do home work, do chores, pick an activity while mom makes dinner, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner, read, bedtime routine and pray x5 days a week. 


Don't get me wrong, I am mostly loving my brake while the "big kids" are off at school.  When they come home I am so ready of them.  On the weekend I'm not already brunt out from the weekday marathon that was little kids 24-7.  Don't even get me started on the baby, toddler, Kindergartner, school age child season, Lord bless those mamas.  Homework is no longer a bad word to me, bring it on first through third graders!  Sorry high school geometry daughter, you are on your own.


Makenna, our extreme extrovert, has a mostly full love tank getting off the school bus.  If it were up to her this kid would have a friend to play with every minuet of every day (pretty much totally me).  She is so much happier having socialized all day, it's awesome.  


Claire comes home totally exhausted and who can blame her.  She has given all she had and now it's time for Disney.  She has a funny habit when getting off the bus.  Before she will take a step down the stares ever day she asks me "what are we doing today? Are we going?" I thought about it and it totally makes sense for her.  Claire wants to know the plan, see the plan, be the plan.  Her personality is so weird for this.  Her first sentences were "first bath, then move, then bed." or "first breakfast, then dressed, then bus."  She loves structure, routine, predictability, and lots of warning when anything out of the ordinary is about to occur (pretty much the exact opposite of me but that's okay I'm learning to like structure, kind of, well I see it has it's place).  


Alice has always been our emotional child which I am loving in this season.  All the kids had a fire drill the other day.  I asked Claire "how was school?"  Claire, "Fine, we played at the big recess."  Me " anything else." Claire, "no."  I ask our first grader Makenna "How was school?' Makenna "We got a new student and her name is Miley and she is sitting next to me and she likes my hair." me  "anything else?" Makenna "and we ate lasagna" (It's always about food and friends for Kenna).  I ask our preschooler Alice and she spills "the alarm went off and I was a little scared but okay.  You know I do not like thunder.  But I was big and stayed with my class.  We went outside with everyone.  None of us cried. We also sang BINGO and there are no blocks in preschool.  Why are there no blocks in preschool?" Wow, she is amazing at retelling her day.  It's my favorite.  Her story about the scavenger hunt her class had the other day was so detailed I knew what book the teacher used to theme it.  This is going to be fun! 


I can't hold back time, as much as I would like to so I'm going to drink this year in and enjoy the heck out of preschool, again, for possibly the last time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment