Friday, October 24, 2014

New School District How Do I Love Thee?

New school district how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways:


#1 Claire's amazing 2nd grade teacher!  Just today I mentioned to Claire's 2nd grade teacher that Claire is on a seporated special ed play ground with like two other kids in the afternoon at the exact same time her regular ed class is out on the big playground.  I didn't even have to go into advocate mode.  Just bringing up the facts and that I thought she would be okay on the playground was enough.  She was all over this quick as grease lightning; I got a text from her one hour later.  She already ran the idea past Claire's special ed teacher and principle.  It's a go!  What, what these people are amazing!  Now, let us all pray Claire cooperates and really doesn't need a one on one for recess.  I think she'll be okay.  You can do it Claire! 



#2 Did I say amazing teacher?  When the school year started Claire's day began in 2nd grade, gen ed.  After the first few weeks the district moved some teachers around causing Claire to have to start her day in special ed.  I wasn't loving the lack of morning routine and structure but hadn't said anything yet.  Her special ed class is like a resource room.  Kids are in and out of there doing their own thing all day... it's set up differently then a regular class.  Anyway, Claire's regular ed teacher brought up the exact issues I was concerned about and volunteered to talk to her principle and special ed teacher about it before I even had a chance to bring it up.  Can I kiss your feet?  I pledge my undying devotion to you teacher of the second grade.  Claire's schedule was fixed just a few days later.



#3 Claire spends way, way more time with her second grade class here then we would even have dreamed to hope for in Spokane.  It's not because we don't believe in Claire but because I know the way it works there and I wan't about to make enemies out of the folks who could make my life miserable until Claire turns 21.  Spokane diverts everything special ed related down town from ages 3 to 21.  Just skip the principe and go straight to buracrats.  So if you have an issue in preschool (which we did) your calling the same people down town in high school, not awesome.  I could say mean things here but I'll resist and stick to we are so glad to be out of there.


#4 Claire could not have all this time in second grade if her special ed teacher wasn't making it happen, being creative and finding the best times for Claire to be successful there while still getting her special ed goals accomplished.  We haven't had any issues, I know I shouldn't be surprised but I am.  It just blows my mind.  Thank you special ed teacher, you rock!


#5 Which brings me to, I love the principle!  He is just always around.  I don't know how this guy does his job because he is so involved with the students.  I not only see him at least twice a day but he makes eye contact with me and greets my line of checklist by name every morning and afternoon (including the ones too young for school).  If and when we have an issue I'm so glad I'll be going into his office and not the secret principle's office of mystery which has been our experience in the past. 


#6 The kids, staff and parents are so friendly.  I think we were strangers for like a day and now everyone knows Claire by name and she knows a ton of their names too.  After we talked to Claire's class about Down Syndrome I have recieved e-mails from parents asking to get together, awesome!


#7 Our neighborhood is at our school.  I can't get over how fun this is after not having it for so long.  I'm so jazzed that the relationships my kids are making now will take them through high school.

I just had to take a minuet and celebrate today.  We are so thankful.

P.S.  Something else to be thankful for, all this rain washed off the disturbing fake blood on the manikin I have to drive by with my kids twice a day.  Now that's making lemons into lemonade, I normally detest you but today I appreciate you, thank you rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment