Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ugly Pie

We are big fans of the library.  I'm hoping my kids will not have the same relationship with book I have, like necessarily evil.  I do love stories and tend to fall in love with anyone who reads to me.  I love the library audio books and downloading them onto my I phone.  There are so many great thing at the library!  We picked up a super cute book a few months ago called Ugly Pie by Lisa Wheeler that Makenna was a huge fan of.  Yesterday I bribed her so I could go to TRX while Claire was at school.  "After Mom goes to the gym what do you want to do?"  Makenna's answer, "bake a pie."  "Sure, why not!"  We had granny smith apples that reminded me of the Ugly Pie we baked after reading the book.


This apple slicer, corer, peeler reminds me of my childhood, such a fun snack. 


Claire, Makenna and Alice love to help out in the kitchen.


Ugly Double Crust:

2 & 1/2 cups flour
1 cup shortening (we used butter)
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 to 8 tablespoons icy cold water











Ugly Filling:
6 cups peeled, sliced Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup molasses
1 teaspoon lemon juice





In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice. Then mix in molasses until apples are completely coated with ugly brown goo. Set aside.

5 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients listed above. Add to the ugly apple mixture until everything is nice 'n' moist and add 

3/4 cup raisins 
1/4 walnuts chopped fine





Toss in the bottom pie crust.

Cover with the other half, decorate, it's a ugly pie so don't worry about it too much.






Cover pie with an aluminum-foil tent to prevent over browning. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes. 

When your pie is done, you will have the most delicious, most beautiful UGLY PIE you ever did see!


We were in our pajamas by the time is cooled 




That's just cute! (Alice and I are going to be gnomes for Halloween, Daddy stole my hat.) 















Now there are more days than not when Claire is a happy part of of relatively normal family.  We aren't always thinking about down syndrome and making modifications for her, she just joins it.  It's pretty awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment