Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween IEP Team

I got everything organized and ready for the meeting thismorning. Ready to listen and ask some questions. It has been a good week thinking about Claire's behavior spike at school. Really, I feel like I have come a long way. Everything gets so mixed up with emotions as the parent.  I can miss what is really going on because of my fears, determination, even hopes...  Appropriate behavior has always been our #1 goal and that is why Claire is in Integrated Kindergarten but if she has so much anxiety in her placement at school that she has inappropriate and unsafe behavior (pushing, spitting, she even pulled hair Monday and I can't remember the last time she did that) to escape from school isn't that counterproductive? She has also always loved school and now, ever day, she doesn't want to go.  That should be telling us something.  


-What is Claire trying to tell us with this behavior? 
Those are a few of the things I've been thinking about.  Oh, it's so emotional it hurts.  Yikes, this can't be healthy.  
Off to the meeting I go. 

-What are the rewards to help her get through the day and are they frequent enough?
-Can she actually take in a circle time (that's when she has the most inappropriate behaviors) this long and intensive? 
-If not, is it worth sacrificing the learning she is missing for the peer interaction?
-What skills are we working on to replace there behaviors and communicate her needs?
-How can we help her like school again?

It feels like there just isn't a great option for Claire. I'm not sold that this is the best option but I am scared to leave it and discover something less okay....

No comments:

Post a Comment