Monday, July 25, 2011

Fried Oreos and Jesus

We were having one of those fleeting, I see your soul moments. Winking at my husband washing the camping trip off his tanned face I tell him, "you are different, You were pretty awesome when I married you but I like this guy even more.  Isn't that great, that God is never done with us.  I wonder what you will be like in another eight years?" He smiles at me.  "Keep letting God work on you."

"Okay," He pulls me in close and we bump together in our tinny bathroom. "What was your favorite part of this weekend?"  He asks me.

I think, I love that He asks me things like this.  It's evidence of our friend Chad, He made a big mark on Nate's heart.  I think back to youth group days, us asking our students what their hi and low of the day was.  There is something special in just telling someone who cares about your day. "Um... I loved everything" It's a lame answer but really, if I had one weekend left to live that would have been the perfect way to spend it.  Four young couples and a busheling, brewed of muddy toddlers and cooing babies all roped (literally) into one camp sight.

In my mind I see Makenna's auburn hair glowing in the reflection of the sun off a still lake.  Her contagious laughter as she takes turns chasing a friend.  "Red light STOP" They yell as they bound through the untamed grass.  Take a picture, I think, this doesn't last forever. 

"I love our friends," Nate tells me for the tenth time today.  "I love them too."  I tell him knowing it's really more then that.  I feel loved, that is what he was really saying.  I think, I love watching you be loved.  Feeling your heart be open and thankful for these moments piled together that make up our life.

The holy grail of joy really is thankfulness.











1 comment:

  1. Love this post!!! Love the moment in the bathroom. seriously made me tear up! And the pics are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete