Friday, October 1, 2010

Claire Joy Leitz

I did not expect to be a part of such a beautiful story and thank God for blessing me with this gift I would not have signed myself up for, Down Syndrome.  I vividly remember looking down at Claire's week body wondering if this fragile baby would survive the night.  Little did I know then how she would teach us what stamina, resilience and determination looks like.  At ten months old Claire came to live in our home.  Our family room looked more like a hospital with pumps, tubes, oxygen tanks, monitors... this was definitely a quick learning curve!  I would get stopped in the supermarket, "is she okay!"  "Yes," I would say and smile "Claire's a survivor ."

The next year was spent playing catch up.  Therapy and doctors appointments nearly every day.  Everyone had some bit of advice for us but you know, the thing I learned the most was just to love her.  One day I mentally went over each therapists well intentioned instructions.  Defeated I realized how much I had not gotten to that day but then I thought, have I made time to be her mom?   I cried!  That is the vital piece no one prescribed, just love her.  Just sit her on my lap and read a story, look into her almond eyes and say "I love you my sweet child."

So many tiers, so much joy.  I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

4 comments:

  1. Lucky me getting to leave your first comment. How fun that you've decided to blog. It has been a huge outlet for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the last couple years.

    You have a shared a beautiful part of your story. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Tami! So excited to see your story written, as it is being, well, written! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. So very true, no one tells you just to love your child...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful story! I love reading all the posts!

    ReplyDelete